Health Insurance Options Outside of Open Enrollment

Special Enrollment Image

Open enrollment is over, but certain life events may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.

If you're:

  • Losing your health coverage
  • Moving to a new ZIP code or county
  • A student moving from the place they attend school
  • Getting married
  • Got divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance
  • Having a baby
  • Adopting a child
  • On a Marketplace plan with someone who dies and as a result, you're no longer eligible fir your current health plan
  • If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Becoming a U. S. citizen
  • Leaving incarceration
  • Starting or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member

If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you usually have up to 60 days following the event to enroll in a plan. However, If you miss this time period, you will have to wait until the next Open Enrollment Period to apply.

When you apply, you may be required to prove your eligibility to enroll based on the life event you experience.